Monday, January 14, 2013

An Inspirational Note Worth Reading: Grace in Teaching!

Teaching has its ups and downs, like any other profession.  It's a great feeling when a struggling student does well in class, and shows the excitement we try to teach regarding a theme or concept.  It can be sad when course evaluations suggest that the class isn't "getting" what you had intended and we need to retool our approaches (leaving aside the less-mature commentary that happens from time to time).  And, recent magazine articles to the contrary, most educators work quite hard to do the best job we can for our students (there was quite a bit of bemusement and a bit of sarcasm regarding the silly article in Forbes, such as here and here).  Doing a good job for our students remains a moving target, even for the best of educators.  We tell ourselves that that it matters, that it is worth it.  And many of us---yours truly, for example---find it to be very much worth the time-equity investment.

But it is always good to read something inspirational about teaching, that presents new approaches, and perhaps more importantly, a new outlook.  

A colleague of my wife's, Dr. Francis Su of Harvey Mudd College, was just presented the Haimo Teaching Award at the Joint Math Meetings of the Mathematics Association of America last week.  It is a great honor to receive a Haimo Award (full disclosure:  my wife won this award several years ago...and yes, I married up).  Dr. Su's acceptance speech was remarkable.  It deeply moved my wife, and she sent me a link to the speech.  I could see what she meant!  

Dr. Su posted the acceptance speech on Facebook, and I share it with you here:

Click here to read Dr. Su's wonderful acceptance speech.

Note:  Apparently, Facebook took down Dr. Su's post as spam(!).  No matter; Dr. Su kindly created a website with his talk for us all to appreciate.  I changed the link above so that it will take you to his new website.  Apologies for Facebook's, um, attention to spam.

If you are an educator, or a student, or interested in teaching or learning, please read this speech.  It is on the subject of "grace" in teaching, learning, and growing.

Richly deserved applause to Dr. Su...and not simply for the prestigious Haimo Award.  But for being willing to share his outlook and positivity with all of us.  

His students must be very, very lucky!

Educators and students:  consider the grace in your life.  And increase it with others.

6 comments:

  1. I found his speech very moving, in person and reading it afterwards. I hope others do as well. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I don't believe I have met Dr. Su, but it is clear he means it. I envy him his attitudes, and I think his students are very, very lucky. All I can do is try to follow in the footsteps of Haimo Teaching Award winners...like you!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing this. Very inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very clear that this was not a "Hallmark Card" kind of a speech by Dr. Su. He means it. It really helped me deal with some issues. I'm glad you liked it, and I hope that you spread it widely.

      Delete
  3. Where did the speech go? The link is no longer available!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Andrea: thanks for letting me know about this. I was able to find the new site where Dr. Su posted his truly impressive speech, and linked to it in place of the prior Facebook linkage. Enjoy!

      Delete

I am happy to hear your comments and suggestions. I hope to avoid spammage. We shall see how that works out!